Awarded the LAGOP Certificate of Commendation 26 February 2014
Upon graduating from high school in 1973, Barbara earned an Associate Degree Spencer Draughon College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Previous employers include companies such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Louisiana, WBRZ-TV Channel 2, and the City of Baton Rouge.
She married her high school sweetheart, Charles R. Thomas, II in 1974 and two years later their first child, Talisha, was born, then Charles III in 1979, and Shannon in 1982. Shortly after the birth of their third child, Barbara became a stay-at-home mom for the next several years to focus on rearing their children. Barbara and Charles are the proud grandparents of six granddaughters and one grandson.
Barbara and her husband were always very active in their children’s school and sports activities. Today, they continue to be involved in their children’s lives, in community activities and their church. Some time later they began to realize a great need in their community that was not being addressed. This led to the founding of the North Baton Rouge Women's Help Center in 1991 (Women’s Help Center) and now known as Family Values Resource Institute, Inc.
Barbara has touched the lives of many in her community as well as statewide and nationally. She has received numerous awards and recognition from many organizations such as the Urban Restoration Enhancement Corporation’s Giving Hearts Award because of the impact their programs have on the community.
- Barbara has traveled to Johannesburg, South Africa to provide instruction and training on setting up pregnancy help centers.
- has provided instruction and training for new pregnancy help centers in Ethel, Port Allen, and Baton Rouge; and Jackson, Mississippi.
- currently serves on the National Board of Directors for LEARN, Inc. (Life Education and Resource Network).
- has over 35 years of experience with issues concerning youth, women and children.
- has provided lectures on numerous topics to women’s groups, youth groups, churches, etc.
- has appeared on numerous TV and radio interviews.
- was a past member of TOP Ladies of Distinction, Nonpareil Chapter, Baton Rouge.
- received Top Ladies of Distinction’s “Sterling Silver Award” for the Status of Women.
- was chosen as an Honorary State Representative by then Representative Melvin “Kip” Holden
- ran for State Representative of District 63
- elected to the Louisiana Republican State Central Committee
- served as 1st Vice President of the Republican Women of Baton Rouge
- serves as Board Vice President of the Baton Rouge Right to Life Chapter
- serves on the board of the Louisiana Right to Life Federation
- serves as Project Director for the Louisiana Alliance for Life (a statewide initiative that provides oversight for ten other pregnancy centers)
- is a licensed minister and active member of her church, Jubilee Christian Center Church
Certificate of Commendation
Roger Villere, Chairman of the Republican Party of Louisiana, takes great pleasure in commending Mrs. Barbara Thomas, for excellence in service to the African-American community, steadfast devotion to the State of Louisiana, and selfless dedication to the great people of the state as a whole. Your perseverance and tireless commitment to causes that promote the right to life, stronger community engagement, and your service to families across the state leave our state with a brighter future. It is because of people like you that our conservative principles remain timeless and continue to resonate across Louisiana. Your actions reflect great credit upon yourself, the communities you serve, and the Republican Party of Louisiana.
Signed this 26th day of February, 2014.
Chairman, Republican Party of Louisiana